Monday, June 8, 2015

The Comics #3

A marksman, like the Lone Marshal, might get some kind of bonus (+1?) to hit with a firearm at medium or longer range. Doesn't seem distinct enough for a new class or sub-class, so I'd probably save that for a Cowboy Stunt.



I'm not sure if the science behind this is kosher, but secret writing on skin and chemicals that can make it visible seems feasible to me. Since I introduced the Spy Character class in The Trophy Case v. 2 no. 5, one could play a H&H campaign as a spy campaign, sending secret messages on your backs or searching for same on enemy agents.

But mainly I just shared this because the goatee guy is the Golden Age Doctor Doom, which just seems crazy wild.



Notice how ineffective the sub-machine gun is in melee combat, as opposed to an ordinary chair?  I'm tempted to prohibit or penalize missile weapons from use in melee combat, but I hesitate to restrict combat options for players...

The smugglers are sure scared of rushing that shack! They're more willing to take a range penalty for shooting at what looks like medium range, along with the hard cover penalties.

It must just be a thing that all bad guys leave their keys in the ignition.

I may not be a huge expert on boats, but that "yacht" looks more like a merchant vessel to me. I don't think I would allow Heroes to install an anti-aircraft gun on the deck of a yacht.



When I wrote up a Naval destroyer as a hideout for The Trophy Case no. 9, one of the things that struck me about the layout was that it was so necessarily compartmentalized into small rooms and areas, that -- despite the large size of its crew -- it would be awful easy for a small team to sneak on board and target small numbers of crew members at a time. Much as we see here.



I may not be a huge expert on mines, but I'm pretty sure mines are not/were not this a) spacious and b) well-lit. In many ways, this reminds me more of a fantasy mine from D&D than any real mine I've seen pictures of.




Ah, the 1930s, when punching an orangutan was seen as heroic adventure! Frank Buck is practically the model for the Explorer character class (from The Trophy Case v. 1 no. 2), with its bonus to damage vs. natural animals.

As for the animals, there is a giant poisonous snake in Book II: Mobsters & Trophies, but I would make an ordinary cobra 1-1 HD, with a weaker poison (save at +2 or comatose for 1-3 days). Apes are in the same book and I would make orangutans only slightly weaker (the Ape entry assumes a gorilla is being discussed). Tigers have already been discussed here.

 
It's not very heroic to rely on animal companions, but it is an option to consider, especially for a scenario that is proving particularly challenging for low-level Heroes. Here, six 1 HD hunting dogs would make a huge difference in a fight if that cougar decided to come down and start roughing people up.



More on the strange nature of quicksand in comic book -- apparently quicksand can be found in the middle of ponds.



(Scans courtesy of Digital Comic Museum)





No comments:

Post a Comment