Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Funny Picture Stories v. 2 #7

Ah...back to Centaur.

Jack Strand has always been a peculiar feature, but if you can overlook capsules that "should shrink your brain in a manner to cause you to understand these undersea people" (Really, Dr. Powers? you want me to voluntarily take capsules that will shrink my brain?), the rest of this set-up seems fairly normal for a Hideouts & Hoodlums scenario. We have the plot hook character, Dr. Powers, who sets up the parameters of the scenario and offers some incentive.  In my latest live session of H&H, the players refused to take up a rescue mission until paid in advance with magic weapons. Maybe I should have offered them brain-shrinking capsules!

Another handy capsule takes care of both breathing underwater and ocean pressure. I don't recommend that for ordinary Pills of Water Breathing; this would seem to be something superior, like Pills of Aquatic Adaptation.



Here's our best look at the undersea people. The text is careful not to call them mermen, but that's really what they are.



I wasn't expecting such a handy playing tip from Rattlesnake Gulch but, if you ever find yourself thrown into a rattlesnake gulch, make sure you have bats handy for feeding them.

All facetiousness aside, we game referees often make the easy calling, seeing all encounters as opponents for the Heroes. It's helpful to take a moment and think about what their motivation is. Are they just hungry snakes looking for a bite to eat? Is there anything present that looks to be an easier meal than the Heroes? In fact, I wonder if I should start having my characters go exploring with a sackful of live mice for tossing to dangerous animals I come across (since bats are too likely to just fly away if thrown)...


(Scans courtesy of Digital Comic Museum)




No comments:

Post a Comment